Friday, October 10, 2014

Sam's Birthday

Sam's birthday was in July, but I wanted to make sure I got it documented, since I wasn't consistently blogging at the time.

- I  made Sam a tie-dye cake.
- We all went to the theatre to watch the Lego Movie.
- We started a new tradition for the first teenage birthday.  Their own soda (he chose Sprite), since they weren't allowed soda in my house before 13 to protect their developing teeth other than special occasions... namely Superbowl.  And their own pizza... that they don't have to share.  He picked plain cheese.
- His main gift was a cell phone... for apps and texting under supervision - no cellular plan, just usable on WiFi.
- He was granted the right to have his own Facebook account... also fully supervised.

And thus... we launched headfirst into the teenage years.  It's been a really rocky start... My eldest is giving me a lot of challenges that go way beyond normal teenage issues.  His electronics have been all taken away for a while, his freedoms extremely limited. There may be some big adjustments ahead for Sam.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Our daughter wanted those freedoms when she turned 13. We did not grant them even with the supervision because she was already to far out of control. She ran away three months after her birthday and is now in a psychiatric home. We don't know when or if she will be able to come home.
    I am sorry Sam is giving you so many challenges.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete